Select Page

For as long as we can remember, chemical and synthetic fertilizers have been used for agricultural practices. While the major components of fertilizers are essential for plant development and growth, there have been environmental repercussions from using excess heavy salts and minerals in our soil.

Eutrophication and greenhouse gas emissions are just a few examples. Soil salinity also greatly impacts seed development, plant growth and health.

A plant’s dry weight is made up of 96.6% carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. The remaining 3.4% is made up of salts such as nitrogen phosphorus, potassium, calcium, magnesium, sulfur and other trace minerals. Sugars are synthesized within the plant through photosynthesis. These sugars are crucial to carrying out metabolic and biologic processes such as cell signaling and gene expression. In addition, research has shown that applying exogenous sugar sources to plants helps fight off harmful pests and can increase total leaf area.

Salts and minerals can easily reach toxic levels in soil and plants. It would take an extreme and rare case for carbon, hydrogen and oxygen to reach toxicity. Excess sugars will get stored as starch or transported to soil to be utilized.

SGS Original Research, Published October 31, 2018

The Future of Growing: Sugars

Fertilizer is Not Plant Food, Plant Food is Sugars

Smart Grow Systems has developed an incredibly user friendly nutrient regimen system using The Original CHO. The Original CHO is a USDA certified biobased product designed to make the growing process simple, while giving your plants the exact ratio of sugars to salts that they need. Biobased products are derived purely from plant materials. They also eliminate the use of petroleum. Petroleum products are harsh on our environment and human health.

The Original CHO should be used in combination with a light soil mixture. Throughout each phase of the grow cycle, the feeding schedule stays roughly the same. This makes the growing process much simpler and reduces risk for human error. The CHO feeding regimen aims to keep plants in an aerobic state, making them less prone to disease and pathogens. Growing with a light soil mixture and The Original CHO has also yielded positive results. Cannabis plants grown with the CHO feeding regimen resulted in increased dry mass (by 20%), THC and CBD content in comparison to plants grown with a standard NPK fertilizer.

To remedy environmental impacts created over the years, we need to shift towards active sugar based feeding methods and eliminate the excess use of heavy fertilizers. Fertilizers are not plant food, plant food is sugar.